Ah yes…the evening session!
First let me say thanks to the fine folks at Chipotle Grill for the 6 1/2 lb burrito that I slammed down my gullet just prior to walking in to the auditorium. Things worked out surprisingly well.
Great worship as always tonight…a little on the traditional side, but with songs this rich and the full band playing behind them…with a LIVE string section…it was awesome.
- All Hail the Power of Jesus Name
- What a Savior
- Jesus Paid it All
- By This We Know Love
- Crown Him With Many Crowns
Then the kids from CLC came up and sang 2 songs which were from the new CD To Be Like Jesus.
Jeff Purswell spoke tonight. He spoke on Hebrews 10, and the foundation of the theology of worship and why we gather.
19(A) Therefore, brothers,[a] since we have confidence to enter(B) the holy places by the blood of Jesus, 20by(C) the new and living way that he opened for us through(D) the curtain, that is, through his flesh, 21and since we have(E) a great priest over the house of God, 22let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts(F) sprinkled clean(G) from an evil conscience and our bodies(H) washed with pure water. 23(I) Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for(J) he who promised is faithful. 24And(K) let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25(L) not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and(M) all the more as you see(N) the Day drawing near.
Why Do We Gather?
- To Encounter God – We don’t just hold meetings or sing, we are entering into an eternal worship already in progress with the heavenly beings. Jesus presence is always everywhere, but especially with his people…not just when worship is “kicking” (OK. Ouch…thanks Jeff.) Faith and joy are derived from this scene so don’t get weary in doing good…this then makes meeting with God very real.
- To Respond to God – Drawing near is always preceded by CHRIST’s work on the cross. All worship is a response to God, the gap in our responding is our sin – which is why it can’t happen without Christ – otherwise it’s idolatry. There is nothing more central in worship than the preaching of God’s word – this is the primary way we encounter God.
- Strengthen each other for the glory of God– v. 24 “Stir up on other to love and good works”. we need to serve the edification of the body in worship. Always be asking – did that edify the body?
-In singing we are addressing God
-In preaching (faithfully to the full counsel) God is addressing us.
This is the rhythm and essence of worship. This mindset prevents formalism (lip service), emotionalism (don’t worship worship), and legalism (we cannot do anything to get into God’s presence)
Worship doesn’t take us into God’s presence, the blood of Christ takes us into God’s presence.
Our GOAL: display God thru revealed truth.
3 thoughts on “WorshipGod09 – Day 2 – Part 2”
I’m right there with ya bro. I am attempting to “live” blog WG09 as well. Just wanted to link you to my blog too, for a different perspective and some helpful sermon notes as well. I tried to tweet some things in the WG09 twitter search, but I am unaware of how to tweet inside of this search so that it shows up with everyone elses tweets. Mine only goes to my updated status.
Also good notes.
thanks, man. hope to meet you before this is over!