Proverbs again…loving this walk thru this book. (24:10)
If you faint in the day of adversity, your strength is small
Very simple and to the point isn’t it?
The cross reference lead me to Hebrews 12:3 — which speaks of the model of Christ – enduring hostility against himself. Indeed we can do all things thru Him who gives us strength. (Phil 4:13)
However, what caught my eye was a little farther on down the page in Hebrews 12:12-15
Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed. Strive for peace with everyone and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled.
In other words – “Man up.”
In addition to just taking the skirt off :
- Make straight paths for your feet – take care in knowing where you are going, how you’ll get there, and choosing the right road
- Strive for peace with most people…oh…I’m sorry…I mean with EVERYONE
- [strive for] HOLINESS – purity, be set apart for our Lord, avoid sin, grow in sanctification, besides without holiness (of Christ given to all who call on his name for salvation thru the Holy Spirit) no one will see the Lord. We have to hold down a holy life kids.
- See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God – I love this one. The way we live speaks volumes to those around us – so in other words -if you call yourself a Christian, make sure that you are living it. Don’t cause others to be confused by what they see in your life. Be consistent with what you say you believe- be consistent and be under the authority of the Word. In the church, spur each other on in our own journey in holiness and sanctification – so that we may stand before God holy and righteous in Christ and he may say “Well done” from our life!
- That no root of bitterness springs up – ESV study note is great here “A bitter and resentful person is like a contagious poison, spreading his resentment to others” – as Christians we are supposed to be spreading the love of God in Jesus – not bitterness and resentfulness – nip bitterness in the bud before it grows – people see it you have just been a really bad witness for our Lord and not shown in your life his amazing grace!