2016 is nearly upon us! With each new year, it is a great chance to start fresh – make positive changes. (For one, I resolve to be nicer to the cat.) One of the best things you can do is have a plan to read the Bible. Like…the WHOLE Bible in a year. You can do it. Why should you? Glad you asked. I can think of a few really awesome reasons.
- It builds understanding. Bad thinking starts with a partial understanding of Scripture. We have all seen verses ripped out of context and misapplied. Building a view of God around a verse (or a handful of verses) plucked out of context is super bad. When we read all of the Bible it brings balance and interpretation.
- It builds self-discipline. Have a plan. Have a time that you read, pray, and meditate every day. Build it into your routine…make it a habit. Use the common grace of God found in good coffee. You might have to make little adjustments to protect it. For example, my wife and I this year are printing out our reading plans and using paper Bibles to be away from our iDevices so that we do not get sucked into social media distractions.
- It spills out into other people’s lives. The more you read and seek to understand Scripture, the better you are able to be an instrument of blessing in other peoples lives. One of my mini-“resolutions” is to try to use Scripture more in every day conversations. I can’t do that if I’m not reading it.
- It causes you to grow in Godliness and wisdom and character and strength…and a zillion other ways. One of the things that I find very hard to hear is when someone says “I just wish God would speak to me.” HE. HAS. God speaks in His word and we come to understand more of who God is and how we are to live by reading, meditating, and applying His Word.
- It’s EASY to find a plan. You can find them EVERYWHERE. If you are disciplined enough to be able to use your phone/tablet to read the Bible without being distracted by other stuff you have a plethora of options that serve up the Word right to your screen. You an also find a treasure trove of other plans on the InterWebs. For example – here’s a great list.
However you chose to do it…please…let me go “Nike” for a second and “Just Do It.” Many people gave their lives so that we can have access to God’s Word and many other believers still do not have access to a Bible in their language. God speaks through His word, let us listen and be changed!
“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Psalms 119:105 ESV)
One thought on “2016 Is Here – What’s Your Reading Plan?”