Boy when you read 1 Timothy and Titus back to back you are just pounded by Paul about the importance of sound doctrine. Yet so many of us flee from doctrine – thinking it divides. I doesn’t.
Doctrine is in fact life itself. It’s from the Greek “didache” which is where we get our word “didactic” which means to teach or convey instruction. Doctrine is simply conveying instruction – when Paul is speaking of doctrine he is speaking of the conveying of the truth of the Gospel which then pertains to life.
We see behavior is directly linked to sound doctrine in 1 Tim 1:8-11 as he gives a laundry list of sins…then adds the “and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine.” Not sure who said it, but I once heard that life is inextricably linked to doctrine.
So a few things I noticed about SOUND DOCTRINE:
- SOUND DOCTRINE always aligns with the truth, the Bible.
- John 17:17 “Sanctify them in the truth, your word is truth”
- Titus 1:1 …”knowledge of the truth”
- 1 Tim 4:6…”trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed.”
- SOUND DOCTRINE is the Gospel of Jesus Christ
- 1 Tim 6:3-4 “If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with Godliness, he is puffed up with conceit and knows nothing.”
- SOUND DOCTRINE produces Godliness
- Titus 1:1 – “their knowledge of the truth which accords with godliness.”. ESV study note hits it here “the true gospel always produces godliness in its adherents, godliness being the hallmark of the true gospel. “
- SOUND DOCTRINE is rooted in LOVE
- 1 Tim 1:5 – “the aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.”
- SOUND DOCTRINE is actively practiced and held defensively
- 1 Tim 4:15-16 “Practice these things…Keep a close eye on yourself and your teaching”