Exhortation and Worship Set from Sun 8/16/09:
Pat Walsh and I had an absolutely amazing time last week at WorshipGod09 which was a conference put on by Sovereign Grace Ministries at Covenant Life Church in Gaithersburg, Maryland. We had 4 days of amazing teaching, worship, and fellowship with over 1600 other worship leaders from around the country and the world, some as far as Australia!
Sovereign Grace Music produces songs not to sell records, but to feed the body of Christ rich Biblical truths – saturated in the Gospel. Remember we worship for 2 reasons – (1) because God is truly worthy of all glory and honor and we are called to praise him and (2) to remind each other of how great God is, encourage and exhort each other, teach each other thru the singing of truths from God’s word. They have just put out a new CD called “Sons and Daughters” which was went along with the theme of the conference which was “From Generation to Generation” – how do we make sure we are diligent to transfer the truths of God to the coming generation? Specifically as worship leaders – how do pass on thru corporate worship the might, deeds, and wonders of God– focused primarily on the grace and mercy of reconciliation thru the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Words of the songs we sing are so important – even MORE important that the music, or the style of the music. Pat and I learned many new worship songs with amazing words that we are going to be introducing to you – to encourage you, teach you, and bring glory to God.
One of those songs I will introduce to you today is called “The Father’s Love”. Listen to the words of the chorus section: “How wonderful the Father’s love for us. That he would give his only son to rescue us. He has saved us, called us blameless, guides us now and will sustain us, Oh how wonderful the Father’s love”
Col 1:21-23 says this:
21 And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind,doing evil deeds, 22he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him, 23 if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven,and of which I, Paul, became a minister.
How wonderful the Father’s love for us, that he would send his only son to RESCUE us..
- Pastor CJ Mahaney reminded us during the conference to never mention the cross without reminding what it means – it means reconciliation. God has reconciled us to Him thru his Son Jesus – the only one who can mediate that reconciliation.
He has saved us, called us blameless
- “…in order to present you holy and blameless, above reproach before him” This is NOT by our own actions, our own worth in and of ourselves, this is only thru Christ and what a complete reconciliation – we are holy and blameless, as Pastor Allan was reminding us ‘justification thru Christ makes us appear to the Father just as if we have never sinned.’ Now while we are here on Earth, we still will sin…so that leads us to the next part
Guides us now and will sustain us
- “if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard” – God will give us the strength and sustain us to live in the power of the Gospel, but we have a responsibility – to continue in the faith – stable and steadfast. 1 Peter says that he gives us everything for life and Godliness thru our knowledge of Him.
Oh how wonderful the Father’s love
- Reflecting on the greatness of this love is cause for rejoicing, isn’t it? Take hope, assurance, and JOY in our reconciliation that Christ has won for us.
So, we are going to teach this new song to you now, let’s all stand. It’s a pretty simple melody – so please listen, as soon as you feel comfortable, please join us in proclaiming these Biblical truths and so by teach and remind each other and bring glory to God our Father who has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the son he loves, thru whom we have redemption – the forgiveness of sins!
- Call: Praise to the Lord (Traditional)
- The Father’s Love (Sovereign Grace from Sons and Daughters)
- Mighty To Save (Hillsong)
- Grace Alone (Scott Wesley Brown, Jeff Nelson)
- The First Place (Matthew Westerholm)